Investigations Visuals Guestbook In Memoriam Further Info Search


Evidence pointing to a cover-up*

Lax security in Cairo and Cologne

Islamic Jihad claims responsibility

High level communications between Gander and Washington

Early official dismissals of sabotage, and explosion or a fire on board

Eyewitness accounts

U.S. military calls for investigation of ground personnel in Cologne

Major General John S. Crosby of the U.S. Army calls for the bulldozing of sites the day after the crash

Arrow Air denied access

Contradiction between the CASB spokesman and the CASB's chief investigator on the "Contents" of the black box tapes

Weapons, ammunition, flares, practice grenades on board?

FBI's Criminal Division involved in the investigation

Autopsy reports

The ice build-up theory: statements by ground crew at Gander / FBI report

Cockpit microphone turned off

Why did the pilot activate a fire extinguisher before impact?

The master fire warning light was turned on.

The Pinkel report

What caused sudden loss of speed?

The board of directors of the CASB divided.

The Sopinka report.

Statement by CASB member Les Filotas.

Benoit Bouchard's letter to CASB board members.

Other points of interest.

List of Exhibits

*(added to the Table of Contents by the author for clarity purposes)

Union of Canadian Transport Employees Report

Did the pilot activate a fire extinguisher before impact?

A key finding in the Systems Group report completed on March 5, 1986 indicates that the pilot, Captain John Griffin, activated an engine fire extinguisher before impact.

There are four engine fire extinguishers on a DC-8 consisting of a fluid tank that releases a fire retardant agent when activated by the pilot. When the pilot decides to put on the fire extinguisher, he activates an electrical charge which releases an explosive cartridge that fires a small projectile which ruptures a diaphragm and releases the fluid. Here is what the report says about one of those fire extinguishing systems; "The second container did not have the raised areas. When the valves were disassembled it was found that one explosive cartridge had been fired, but that this had occurred while there was still agent in the container to dampen the force of the impact on the interior surface". (see Exhibit 38)

This important piece of evidence demonstrates that this fire extinguisher bottle was ruptured by intentional discharge before impact and not by the intense heat of the fire. Captain Lee Levinson, a personal friend of the dead pilot says: "There is a smoking gun there... and it's the No. 4 engine". (see Exhibit 36) The No. 4 engine was scheduled to be replaced after dropping off the soldiers in Fort Campbell, Kentucky on December 12. It was to fly immediately to Oakland, California to have a new engine installed. It had been rotating at a slow pace and overheating for some time.

Top of page Next page Previous page

[ Home | Investigations | Visuals | Guestbook | In Memoriam | Further Info | Search ]
©Copyright 1997-2008 JWS