Investigations Visuals Guestbook In Memoriam Further Info Search


Evidence pointing to a cover-up*

Lax security in Cairo and Cologne

Islamic Jihad claims responsibility

High level communications between Gander and Washington

Early official dismissals of sabotage, and explosion or a fire on board

Eyewitness accounts

U.S. military calls for investigation of ground personnel in Cologne

Major General John S. Crosby of the U.S. Army calls for the bulldozing of sites the day after the crash

Arrow Air denied access

Contradiction between the CASB spokesman and the CASB's chief investigator on the "Contents" of the black box tapes

Weapons, ammunition, flares, practice grenades on board?

FBI's Criminal Division involved in the investigation

Autopsy reports

The ice build-up theory: statements by ground crew at Gander / FBI report

Cockpit microphone turned off

Why did the pilot activate a fire extinguisher before impact?

The master fire warning light was turned on.

The Pinkel report

What caused sudden loss of speed?

The board of directors of the CASB divided.

The Sopinka report.

Statement by CASB member Les Filotas.

Benoit Bouchard's letter to CASB board members.

Other points of interest.

List of Exhibits

*(added to the Table of Contents by the author for clarity purposes)

Union of Canadian Transport Employees Report

Lax Security in Cairo and Cologne

On December 11, 1985 the day before the crash, the U.S. servicemen were flown from Ras Nasrani, Egypt in the Sinai desert, where they were stationed, to Cairo in two Egyptian Air 737's. All personal belongings including duffle gags, luggage and military equipment were trucked in to Cairo International Airport. Because of a five hour delay in the arrival of the chartered Arrow Air DC-8, soldiers were taken to a Cairo hotel. They were later returned to the airport for anticipated departure.

Upon arrival at Cairo International Airport no customs, immigration, baggage check or security screening of passengers was made. A report prepared just one week before for a similar transfer of servicemen from Cairo on board a Transamerica Airlines flight also demonstrates no inspections upon arrival (see Exhibit 1). This shows a clear tendency toward lax security at Cairo.

Another report by Captain Arthur Schoppaul of Arrow Air, this one on the ill-fated Arrow Air battalion rotation in Cairo says there was no security provided for the luggage (parked for some 5 hours on the ramp at the airport) and no inspection of the same prior to loading onto the DC-8 (see Exhibit 2). The same report states that there was no security check of the passengers or their carry-on baggage prior to boarding.

In a separate statement made by Captain Schoppaul who was the pilot on the crew which flew the DC-8 from Cairo to Cologne, he outlines the poor security in Cologne as well. He says: "at no time was a baggage inspection carried out, neither in barracks nor at the airport". In Cologne, the DC-8's interior was cleaned by employees of various nationalities, without supervision as is customary. At the end of his statement, Schoppaul says very bluntly: "Ground security was very poor in Cairo and Cologne" (see Exhibit 3).

Although U,S. customs at Ras Nasrani, Egypt had made thorough verification of luggage and equipment plus a hand search of 50-60 percent of the duffel bags and other carry-on baggage before departure, lax security for transfers in Cairo and Cologne, with baggage being left unattended for hours and other negligent actions, leaves open the possibility of tampering. These were American servicemen and even though they were dressed in civilian clothing, in places like Cairo the risk situation they are in should have warranted much tighter security. Many opportunities presented themselves for sabotage since none of the baggage on board was ever inspected between Ras Nasrani and Gander.

Top of page Next page Previous page

[ Home | Investigations | Visuals | Guestbook | In Memoriam | Further Info | Search ]
©Copyright 1997-2008 JWS